Development of a Vision:
The Director of Education will develop an educational vision based on the mission statement and core values of Temple Sinai Las Vegas. He/she/they will be responsible for implementing this vision, providing religious and educational direction to the Mark L. Haberkorn Religious School and the Jewish Lifelong Learning program, ensuring best practices in curriculum and instruction in all divisions. He/she/they will be responsible for implementing this vision while also providing social direction to the Temple Sinai Youth Groups. The Director of Education should serve as a role model of the school and temple’s core values while being a leader within the Las Vegas Jewish community.
Plan for Growth:
The Director of Education will build strong relationships in the Las Vegas community to promote the religious school while encouraging growth in enrollment and enthusiasm. The 2023-2024 year will bring a new Religious High School to Temple Sinai, the Director of Education will be intricately involved in the development, supervision, and education of said school.
The Director of Education will build strong relationships in the Las Vegas community to promote adult learning via the Jewish Lifelong Learning program. While working alongside the Rabbi and the Jewish Lifelong Learning committee, the Director will assist in coordinating educational programs both for the Temple Sinai community and the community at large.
You are an experienced and passionate educator with a deep commitment to Jewish education and to the Jewish community. Qualifications include:
- BA degree or higher in education, Jewish studies, or some related field
- A background in administration
- Knowledge of the field of Jewish education
- Strong interpersonal skills with adults and children; interacts well with teachers, parents, and students with respect and diplomacy; relates well with clergy and lay leaders
- Strong written communication skills
- Capacity to build an excellent, collaborative team of professionals
- Experience in managing and mentoring staff
- Comfort level with the basic elements of budgeting and financial management
The Director of Education has the following responsibilities:
- Help determine and promote a vision for the religious school’s educational, religious, and financial future both within Temple Sinai and the Las Vegas Jewish communities
- Articulate the core values of the religious school and work towards their implementation within the school’s curriculum and practice
- Provide educational direction to the religious school, including the very best and innovative of contemporary education practices
- Recruit, hire, evaluate, and retain teachers
- Support the professional growth and development of all faculty and employees
- Host monthly staff meetings
- Maintain an exemplary supervisory and feedback process for all employees
- Coordinate with the Rabbi and Cantorial Soloist for B’Mitzvah program
- Supervise enrichment/tutoring program
- Supervise madrichim program
- Work alongside the Rabbi with the confirmation program
- Maintain consistent policies and procedures to ensure the safety of students and the smooth functioning of the school
- Develop a yearly budget and provide the discipline for the school to stay within its means
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees to lead the school forward, including developing a plan to increase overall enrollment
- Provide quarterly reports to the Board of Trustees on the school’s financial status, educational achievements, current goals, and progress toward those goals.
- Create an inspirational and collaborative learning environment
- Support and maintain family involvement in community programming
- Provide curriculum to incorporate parents in the learning process
- Develop creative family programs to encourage participation among Temple Sinai families
- Actively promote Jewish summer camps to young people, particularly U.R.J camps
- Encourage student involvement in Shabbat services
- Maintain an effective and secure filing system and database of students
- Establish and maintain annual calendar
- Facilitate communication to Religious School families, via text or other means, regarding weekly/monthly events and activities such as Friday Night Live and Shabbat programming. This includes monthly school newsletter and weekly Eblasts
- Prepare monthly articles for the Temple Sinai Shofar, working with the Director of Marketing and/or Executive Director to submit regular articles and ads to the local newspaper and/or Jewish Nevada
Youth Group responsibilities:
- Direct oversight of Temple Sinai's NFTY program (SVTY, Jr. SVTY and Lil’ SVTY), supervising and organizing separate elementary and middle, and high school youth group activities
- Oversee and empower, while guiding, teen TYG (Temple Youth Group) board to take ownership of the youth program
- Coordinate with teens to create and organize programs and activities, both congregational and community wide, including Friday Night Live as assigned by Cantorial Soloist and/or Rabbi
- Coordinate events, wherever possible, with other Las Vegas valley youth groups and nonaffiliated Jewish teens
- Program, coordinate and staff the annual youth retreat and Shabbaton. Attend Shabbat and other holiday services, whenever possible, which includes youth programs and Temple Sinai teens
- Direct and develop advisors and support staff to ensure appropriate coverage for all youth programming
- Build positive relationships with teens' parents/guardians
- Actively promote Jewish summer camps to young people, particularly U.R.J camps. Encourage involvement with NFTY including sending teens to NFTY Southwest Region & international NFTY conventions
- Develop a yearly budget and provide the discipline for youth programming to stay within its means.
- Assist advisors in facilitating programming including but not limited to transportation and parent and teen communication for said programming
- Support and maintain family involvement in programming
Adult Education Responsibilities:
- Encourage strong relationships with other Las Vegas community organizations to promote adult learning via the Jewish Lifelong Learning program
- Work alongside the Rabbi and the Jewish Lifelong Learning committee to coordinate educational programs and classes both for the Temple Sinai community and the community at large
- Develop the annual budget and provide the discipline for the Jewish Lifelong Learning program to stay within its means
- Assist clergy and lay leaders in obtaining grant support for adult education programs
- Assist clergy and lay leaders in developing creative family programs, encouraging participation among Temple Sinai families and the community at large
Reporting and Supervision:
The Director of Education reports directly to the Rabbi. Other key relationships include the President of Temple Sinai, Cantorial Soloist, Controller, Executive Director, the Board of Trustees, and the Director of Marketing.
First-year compensation is commensurate with experience.
Temple Sinai will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.